The olive is a timeless symbol of peace, prosperity, productivity and fertility
The olive tree made its appearance in the Mediterranean region thousands of years ago and spread to nearby countries from there.
It is estimated the cultivation of the olive commenced more than 7000 years ago. From ancient times, the olive is an integral part of the life of the people of the whole Mediterranean region, it has appeared in their myths, their traditional stories and in the history as a timeless symbol of peace, prosperity, productivity and fertility.
The winners of the ancient Olympic Games were awarded a crown of olive leaves, this only shows how important the olive tree was to the people of this region.
Mythology tells us that the olive was a gift from the goddess Athina to the residents of the city of Athens, who subsequently gave her name to their city in gratitude for this gift.
In the Peloponnese, where the best quality of olive oil comes from, the cultivation began around the 3rd century B.C. and the ancient Greeks used to smear olive oil on their bodies and hair as a matter of grooming and good health. Very many Greek and Roman writings refer to the olive and its beneficial role.
From the ancient times, Hippocrates, the founder of Medicine, was foremost in recognizing the beneficial qualities of olive oil and introduced it as a therapy to heal wounds, muscular pains and other ailments.
Homer the writer of Iliad, was referring to Olive Oil as: the Liquid Gold.
THE BENEFITS OF THE OLIVE OIL
1. It has a high content of mono-unsaturated fat, which are the so-called "good fat", protecting against the emergence cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus, 2. Contains many antioxidants. The antioxidants are reducing the risk of developing chronic diseases.
3. Extra virgin olive oil protects against heart disease, it lowers blood pressure and improves the function of blood vessels.
4. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties. The olive oil contains nutrients, which fight inflammation.
5. Prevents stroke, one of the most common causes of death in developed countries.
6. Reduces the risk of developing type-2 Diabetes. Both observational studies and clinical trials show that olive oil, can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 40%.
7. Helps in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, reduces pain and swelling of the joints.
8. Inhibits the progression of Alzheimer's. Researchers at the University of Louisiana managed to stop the progression of Alzheimer's disease using specially selected Greek olive oil. According to American professors, this paves the way for the characterization of olive oil as a medical food.
9. Fights depression. More and more studies have concluded that extra virgin olive oil has been linked to a reduction in depression.
10. Moisturizes the skin and hair. Olive oil has emollient and moisturizing properties, which is why it is a key ingredient in many skincare products.
KORONEIKI: THE BEST GREEK OLIVE OIL QUALITY.
There are many kinds of olive trees and the olives that each species produces, vary in color, size, texture and taste. This also applies to the olive oil they produce. The Greek producers know that the best oil is collected from the smallest olive variety, Koroneiki.
The Koroneiki variety appeared and cultivated in Messinia, and it differes from the other olive oils due to: the unique ground-soil, the special climatic conditions and the unique cultivation method applied in this territory.
“Make me poor to make you rich” is an old saying which shows the way we cultivate in Messinia.
Unlike many other crops, we do not use extensive watering only rain water, so our olives are grown dry under the hot sun.
Also our trees are pruned intensively twice a year, one when the fruit is picking up and one after spring. By arranging the volume of branches in this way, we have the effect of keeping the olive trees close so that their juices travel the shortest possible route from the root to the fruit.
By sacrificing the quantity for quality, our olives give precious and dense olive oil with the green-olive color, wonderful special taste, aroma and rich dense texture. A unique and very special Olive Oil.